Friday, July 9, 2010

CAN WE TALK?

The reason I named this post, "Can We Talk?" is that I feel the need to clarify my position on eschatology. I read Acts 1:11 this morning. It shook my fledgeling preterist worldview to its core. I am still working through the rubble. It is the account of Jesus' ascension into heaven.

"Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing into heaven? This Jesus who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven."

I don't see how it could be any clearer. I know and believe the preterist interpretation of the Lord's predictions about his coming again in judgment on Jerusalem in 70 AD. But this verse says something in addition to that.

I have seen and read William Bell's fine article, "He Came In Like Manner: A Study of Acts 1:11." But I fail to embrace his position without reservations.

Perhaps I need a little more enlightenment. I pray for such, in Jesus' name, amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glidt. I'm back in town and read your blog. Here is some food for thought.
Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Matt 26:63 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Without doubt, those that believed in Jesus, and also those that rejected and judged Him to be crucified saw him come in the clouds(in like manner)just like Jehovah in the Old Testament bringing the law and judgment.

Good stuff Pete, Kerry.