Saturday, June 26, 2010

300: A FINITE NUMBER... RIGHT?

Well, intrepid blog readers. I have achieved my 300th post!!! And here it is:

I am listening to Sam Frost discuss his paper, "Full Preterism and the Problem of Infinity." In it, he challenges the ubiquitous concept of the infinity of God. I have held to this concept virtually all of my life! No, I did not comprehend it. But I did apprehend it.

Preterism, for the unwashed masses, is an eschatological viewpoint that says the prophecies which Jesus and others put forth in the Bible came to pass in 70 A.D. regarding His return and the end of the age (Old Testament or Covenant). "Full Preterism" says that Jesus returned in judgment to Jerusalem and will not be back physically.

Frost has his own show on Preterist Radio. It is called, oddly enough, "The Sam Frost Show."

Because of a conversation I had with a friend who was instrumental in persuading me to consider the claims of the Bible in light of full preterism (FP), I started reading Frost's paper and listening to his shows on this subject. Therefore, I have been contemplating this Greek concept of infinity.

"Infinity" has historically permeated the doctrines of the Christian faith. Indeed, it has always explained the unexplainable to me. But now, a challenge from Sam Frost has awoken those of us who are listening.

As a Christian, I must take infinity with a grain of salt. It means, according to Frost and others,"unbound." Of course I agree.

The controversy is over "the end of history," or "the end of time," because of its prima facie disagreement with preterism.

It is a commonly held belief that Jesus will return to earth, physically, to consummate "all things." He will, according to the majority opinion in the Church, bring an end to time and usher in the eternal reign on earth of His Heavenly Kingdom.

But in the FP (full preterist) scheme, it is an interesting concept. On the one hand, I hold to a fulfilled interpretation of Scripture. On the other hand, I see Frost's logic and have to agree with it.

Well, does this mean that Christ will return... again? Physically?

I think not. But this is a paradox (apparent contradiction) par excellence for us mere mortals. After all, He reigns... NOW!!! He is here ("I am with you always..." Matthew 28:20)

Frost makes a very credible defense, or apologetic, for his position-- which was also that of Athanasius, a church father. I feel he deserves a hearing before any of us passes final judgment on this very interesting viewpoint worthy of our consideration. Jesus will be happy to lead us to all truth.(John 16:13)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glidt...As always a good post. Keep up the good work. Kerry.