Monday, August 1, 2005

THREE CHEERS FOR WINDOWS!!!

Well, now isn't this interesting? I spent valuable cyberspace blogging about the pros and cons of using Microsoft Windows versus Linux (a hobbyist's paradise), and now I am back-pedaling to a conciliatory tone and PRAISING Windows (XP) for saving my computer from a life of Perpetual Intro-net!

Will Linux EVER get me to MSN.com, FoxNews.com, or even Google.com? I will attempt further installations of different distributions of Linux in order to see if these and MOST websites I try to visit will in fact show up-- in part or at all! For those of you who may know about Linux, I tried many times and finally installed Mandriva Linux 10.0, but was unable to upgrade it to 10.1 for MANY reasons.

In sheer desperation, I reinstalled (gasp!) Windows XP. Guess what? It works--and quite well! I may have learned a valuable lesson from all this. Count your Windows before they're broken. If that means anything...

Anyway, this is a trumpet blast, a clarion call to all who will listen: back up your files; format your hard drive; reinstall Windows (if you want)! Then see if you can partition your hard drive for Linux to be installed (somehow). Don't get me wrong. I have every intention of pursuing a successful relaunch of Linux on my computer, a dual boot sytem if possible. It was a lot of fun to try and make Linux work. But for now, "Winflaws" is working pretty well.

There are many websites offering good and so-so advice on using Linux. You will need patience, a sense of humor, and the ability to backtrack from all of the deadends you may face while trying to figure it all out. Godspeed! And have fun (but not TOO much fun :^)

Really.

No comments: