Monday, August 1, 2005

A NEW POST

Well, it seems I could not stay away long from the blogosphere. I must gush some more about Windows--that "loveable" eight-hundred megabyte gorilla which every self-respecting geek-wannabe attacks from a distance but keeps at arm's length, just in case the Alternative (read: Linux/etc.) doesn't work. It is truly a pleasure to see a browser open up a web page clearly and quickly, without all of the unevenly-spaced text and missing sections (not ads). Perhaps there is some poor soul out there contemplating such a migration. Be warned. You may not like all of what you see out there in Open Source Heaven. I've been there and back. Like an African safari, there is much to see and experience. But not all of it is paved and smooth.

I could wax eloquent (indefinitely) about it. You see, I am currently waiting for a Windows Update to finish downloading to my computer. Ah, the miracle of working software that is available and easy to understand! After "roughing it" with Linux for a few weeks, I am more willing to tolerate what I once disdained about Windows: its ease of use, ubiquitous resources, apparent flexibility, and, oh yes, its "slowness." There must be a fifth item in my list! There must!!!

"MyWindowsHomecoming.com" would be an appropriate name for a website which describes the adventures of wayward Windows users who have rediscovered their appreciation for Big Brother Gates and Company. How about Linux Junkies Anonymous? We can have fun with this!

It looks like my download gained another percentage point. Ah, progress. Will it ever be out of vogue to pick on Windows? I think not. It's much too fun. Good humor is the balm that heals. Sixteen percent more! This looks like another successful install. One down. Ten billion more to go.

As I approach the magical "100%" mark, let me pause to say it has been a wonderful "homecoming" to return to Big Daddy Microsoft. Replete with splendid programs that are compatible with virtually everything else under the Windows Bigtop, let us indulge in the completion of another successful update!

Thank God the download is finished!!! Now for the next one...

No comments: