Wednesday, February 29, 2012

FRANKLIN GRAHAM MISSES IT

I am in no way discounting my respect and admiration for the Reverend Billy Graham's capable and well-qualified evangelist son, Franklin. But I am taking issue with his comments in his video called "Second Coming - Are You Ready?"

In it, he states that Jesus did not come as King the first time, but He will the second time.

Really?  

Matthew 2:2 says the wise men asked Herod, "Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him."

Franklin quotes Isaiah 9:6-7:
 6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upond his shoulder,
and his name shall be callede
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
 Graham says that Jesus did not have a government then. Really? Can there be a king without a kingdom? Jesus Himself said, "My kingdom is not of this world."(John 18:36) He was speaking in the present tense. In fact, the wise men were speaking in the past-perfect tense!

Also, of course, Graham toes the line that Jesus is coming "soon."  There you have the complete package of futurism in a nutshell. I was surprised, but not shocked. I only count myself blessed (?) with this perspective of fulfilled, covenant eschatology.

NOTE: I am not discounting or disparaging the God-given work that the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association does for the world. I only want to point out how subtly error can creep in. (The proverbial "three fingers" are pointing back at me!)

No comments: