Friday, February 6, 2009

A LIFE REMEMBERED

Well, I finally watched all three parts to the interview between Mike Wallace and Ayn Rand. I am neither a fan nor an enthusiast of Rand's, but as a Christian I can watch, without condescension, a very warm and friendly exchange between two people who hold diametrically-opposing worldviewpoints. Wallace represented the Judaeo-Christian worldview, and Rand held firmly to an atheistic, self-interested worldview which somehow overlapped with economic truths which I perceived in her answers and somewhat agreed with. 

For instance, she made  the point that depressions are caused by government intervention in a free economy, and not by the market forces themselves. This I would tend to agree with, based on my limited and recent exposure to the Austrian school of economics. An excellent starting point for learning about this philosophy is Mises.org .

She does, in my opinion, take an extremely hardline on most issues discussed here. I sympathize with her, for she has not experienced the new birth of the spirit given by Christ our Savior, whom Wallace actually mentions without being censored! I only hope she did so before her death in 1982.

More can be learned about this fascinating historical figure of American life by visiting Wikipedia.com and reading about her there.
 

No comments: