Tuesday, November 23, 2010

REDISCOVERING LINUX AGAIN!!!

In the past, I have used this blog to chronicle my ventures into open source software. Perhaps a scan of posts-gone-by in my Blog Archive (on the right side, scroll down a bit) will yield the accounts of my brief excursion into Linux, which ended in utter disgust because of its continual need for fixing and my endless investigations into how to do so. "Exasperating" is the word I would use here.

But, lo and behold, Ubuntu has redeemed Linux from my OS anathema. It can be a little slow at times. In fact, my computer "crashed" (froze) while I was using Ubuntu to surf and play multimedia. Oh well, I just restarted it (rebooted in Ubuntu) and it has been performing admirably for the most part.

I am playing a media file in Firefox using Ubuntu's plug-in player, the name of which escapes me, and I hope to revisit it for future reference. RhythmBox is the iTunes equivalent for Ubuntu. Very impressive features.

Though simpler looking, Ubuntu Linux can be extremely entertaining and more fun to run than Windows. This has been a free review of Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (Long Term Support).

No comments: